Monday 31 October 2016

Micro Operation

Take one classic Operation game and connect a BBC micro:bit to it, what could be more fun.  Having seen a similar project I thought I would have a go myself, so I had a quick browse on eBay and found one cheap. 





























A few days later the game turned up and it appeared to be in good condition.  I removed the existing black box containing the electronics, the batteries had corroded but luckily only the battery connections had been damaged. I took everything out and connected some new wires to the tweezers and connection to the metal plate.  I also replaced the existing LED.


Existing electronics, somewhat crusty.












Existing electronics removed and new wires connected.
















I connected the new wires up to the GPIO pins on the BBC micro:bit and tried out the awesome code written by David Whale.  I used my new Proto-pic exhi:bit Prototyping system for micro:bit but the Kitronik prototyping system would work just as well.  The game was fun to play and had some awesome animations. After 3 operations, if you are successful in the operation time limit, the man jumps out of the bed and walks away.





BBC micro:bit Edge Connector 
Operation game connections
P0 pin
Tweezers, active high
P1 pin
Nose LED via series resistor
P2 pin
Speaker, other pin to GND
+3V
Internal metal plate


You will need:
1 x Operation game
1 x BBC Micro:bit
1 x 5mm Red LED
1 x Suitable resistor for your LED (I used a 47)
Connecting wires
1 x speaker or piezo

The code was written by David Whale and can be found below.

A simple version of the game can be found  here  

Full version of the game can be found  here